OMS 1:1 Initiative
Middle School Plans 1:1 Computer Initiative for 2015-16
July 24, 2015
Oskaloosa Middle School will be rolling out the 1:1 Chromebook initiative at the start of classes this fall. All students in grades 6-8 will be a part of this wonderful initiative. Before your child will be able to receive his or her computer, parents/guardians must register their student(s). You can do this online (visit our district homepage) or attend the district registration sessions (dates listed below). Once all the necessary forms are completed and turned into the office and fees are paid, the student will receive a Chromebook (laptop) computer to be used at school as well as at home for educational purposes.
Our teachers are energized about how this will affect instruction, assignments, projects, research and assessment. This is an exciting time for the community, our students and teachers and for the entire school district. We understand how immediate access to technology and increased use of computers in education has had a beneficial effect on student learning and achievement. We expect that our students will engage in higher order/critical thinking, collaborate and communicate easier and, parents should expect only quality instruction for every child everyday from our teachers!
Important steps that must be completed prior to the start of school:
Submitted registration information/materials must include the following:
- Computer Loan Agreement signed and returned to school.
- Parent signature form with Acceptable Use Policy checked off must be returned to school.
- Registration fee, which includes computer usage, must be paid.
2015-16 - Registration dates - located in the High School cafeteria:
- August 10 (noon – 7:00) and
- August 11 (8:00AM to 1:00PM)
Parent Information Meetings:
We want to be sure our parents are informed as much as possible about the 1:1 program at OMS, therefore we have scheduled time to share with parents the specifics regarding laptop care, internet safety and some other Frequently Asked Questions about responsibility, care of and replacement cost if the computer is lost, stolen or damaged.
7th and 8th Grade Parents Meeting will be meeting on:
- August 18th from 6:00 – 7:00PM at George Daily Auditorium (if you also have a 6th grader, you do not need to attend this meeting if you are coming on the 19th)
6th Grade and new student parents should plan to attend the Orientation and New Student Open House:
- Wednesday August 19th from 5:00 – 6:30 (beginning at George Daily at 5:00 then moving the school building shortly afterwards)
For even more information, check out our 1:1 initiative Webpage:
- “Click” on the OMS 1:1 Initiative tab in right column on the “Middle School Page.”
We look forward to seeing you in August.
Andy Hotek, Principal
Click to View 1:1 Website: https://sites.google.com/a/oskycsd.org/oskaloosa-middle-school-1-1-initiative/home